A summary of the requirements candidates from countries that are not a member of the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland must fulfill in order to practice medicine in Norway is described below.

1. Language Requirements
2. Authorisation
3. Residence Permit


1. Language Requirements

Please note that a proficiency in Norwegian (passing of the «Bergen-test» with a score of 500/B) is required before applying for internship/license in Norway.

2. Authorisation

Authorisation represents a full and permanent approval, while licences impose one or more limitations with respect to duration, independent or supervised practice/training etc.

To apply for authorisation please follow the points below:

Prepayment of case handling fee

In order to initiate the case handling procedure, a fee must be paid in advance. A valid receipt – either from on-line bank or directly from your bank – should be sent with your application form.


You can apply for either an authorisation or a license.

An authorisation gives you the right to practice your profession in Norway

A license gives you the right to practice within a limited time frame, while obtaining full authorisation


When filling in the profession you wish to apply authorisation for, please pick one of the listed on the SAK website (only in Norwegian).


In order to assess your professional background sufficiently your documentation will ensure that our evaluation will be as correct as possible. It is therefore of the utmost importance that all relevant documentation is sent with your application (and certified).

Applicants educated outside the EU/EEA-countries:


Diploma/records for all relevant education. (Certified copies of your grades alone do not suffice)

Submit a detailed overview of university/college you attended, including a presentation of the tutorial programme. Theoretical classes you have followed should be listed by the number of hours, and conducted practice by the number of weeks/hours spent within each department.

Remember to mention starting date and graduation date.

Submit a confirmation from your previous employers of your working experience from the time after your final exams. This must include when you started working and termination date, as well as working area and field of experience. If you have not been employed after graduation please specify.

Translation of documents

All original documents that are not issued in Norwegian, Swedish, Danish or English, need to be translated into one of these languages by an authorised translator. The translation must be attached to copies of the original documents.

Validation of attachments

The various attachments to the application must be certified copies. Do not mail original documents.

How to certify copies:

All copies attached to your application have to be certified page by page. By certification we mean a stamp and signature form the certifier. The certifier confirms the copy and the original documents being identical. The stamp has to clearly show the name of the certifying institution.

Verification of applicant’s basic medical education

SAK has opened up for co-operation with the American Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) in verification of applicants’ educational documentation. This will mean that doctors who have received their education outside the EEC will have to send their application for Norwegian authorisation/license to both SAK and ECFMG with documentation of their basic medical education to the latter.

ECFMG will, in turn, notify SAK on the outcome of the verification. This does not apply to those who wish to apply for authorisation after finishing their internship.

Applicants will need to fill in a special form which is to be sent directly to ECFMG together with relevant documentation. A fee is required by the ECFMG and payment should be made directly to them.

The reason for this verification by SAK is that in order to fill the requirements laid down by the Law for Medical Workers §48 & §49 as well as to patient protection stated in §1 are met.


Those who wish to apply for authorisation, must pay the processing fee in advance.

The rate for application for authorisation is NOK 1.665

The rate for medical practitioners, chiropractors and physiotherapists who are to do their internship, is NOK 2.635

Processing time starts once the fee has been paid and all necessary documents have been sent to SAK. If, for some reason SAK should need to contact you for further documentation processing time may be prolonged.

Processing time

The time required to process your application will depend on country of education:

  • Outside the EU/EEA: 6 months

In some cases SAK will need a detailed course plan containing a description of each subject with the number of hours for each subject. This must be provided by the university/college you attended.

3. Residence Permit

Residence permit for non EU/EEA nationality

If you come from a country outside the EU/EEA and wish to work in Norway, you need a residence permit. If you do not already have a residence permit, you must apply for a residence permit for work. This may for example be a residence permit for skilled workers, ethnic cooks, seasonal workers, self-employed persons or employees in a humanitarian, non-profit or religious organisation.

Skilled worker with an employer in Norway

Requirements of the employee

You must pay an application fee.

Requirements relating to your education/qualifications

You must have one of the following types of education/qualifications

a completed vocational training programme of at least three years at upper secondary school level, for example as a joiner or health worker. There must be a corresponding vocational training programme in Norway.

completed education or degree from a university/ university college, for example a bachelor’s degree as an engineer or nurse

special qualifications that you have obtained through long work experience, if relevant in combination with courses etc. A permit is only granted in such cases in exceptional circumstances. Your qualifications must be equivalent to those of someone who has completed vocational training.

Requirements relating to the employment relationship

You must have received a concrete job offer from one specific employer in Norway.

The job must normally be full-time

The job you are offered must require qualifications as a skilled worker. You must have the qualifications that the job requires.

The pay and working conditions must not be poorer than is normal in Norway.

Special requirements

If you are going to work in an occupation for which recognition or authorisation is required (external website), you must have such recognition or authorisation. Health personnel, for example, must enclose an authorisation or licence from the Norwegian Registration Authority for Health Personnel, SAFH,(external website).

If you are to work through a staffing agency, you must present a list of the assignments that the employer has planned for you. The assignments must be confirmed by the business/businesses you are carrying out the assignments for. It is only possible for you to get a residence permit for the period of time when you are carrying out the assignments on this list. The staffing agency must be registered in the Norwegian Labour Inspection Authority’s register (external website).

Rights and obligations

You can get a residence permit for one to three years at a time.

After three years, you can apply for a permanent residence permit in Norway.

Your family can usually apply to come and live with you in Norway.

If you are later going to start work of a different type, you must apply for a new residence permit. You may not change to a different type of work until you have been granted a new residence permit.

If you are later going to change employers, you must check what it says in the decision letter you received when you were given a residence permit. In the decision it will say:

Whether the residence permit is valid for one particular employer, which means that you must wait until you have been granted a new residence permit before you can start working for a new employer, or

Whether the residence permit is not connected to a particular employer, which means that you can change employers without applying for a new residence permit. You must still do the same type of work.

If you have been laid off temporarily:

You can stay in Norway as long as you are temporarily laid off and have a valid residence permit

You do not have to notify the police or the UDI

If you lose your job:

You must notify the police where you live within seven days.

You can then stay in Norway for up to six months to look for a new job. Your residence permit must still be valid for the duration of this period.

If you get a new job, you must check what it says in the decision letter you received when you were given a residence permit. In the decision it will say whether you must wait until you have received a new residence permit before you can start your new job, or if you only need to notify the police where you live within seven days after you start the new job.


Rights and obligations while you are waiting for your application to be decided

You can enter Norway before your application has been decided if you are a skilled worker and already have a visa or do not need a visa to enter Norway.

You may not start working until you have been granted a permit. You can nevertheless start working if you have applied for a residence permit for a skilled worker with an employer in Norway and receive a confirmation of early employment start from the police.


Medical School Requirements

SEWN International Specialist Recruiting will only accept and process CVs from candidates that have attended medical universities that are validated by the World Directory.

To help and protect patients and to meet the needs of our clients, we need to know that a doctor has attended a genuine medical school of good standard, and has demonstrated the competence required to become a certified medical doctor. The validated information in the World Directory proves that a medical school exists and is of good quality.

The World Directory defines “medical school” as an educational institution that provides a complete or full program of instruction leading to a basic medical qualification; that is, a qualification that permits the holder to obtain a license to practice as a medical doctor or physician.


* For non-EU candidates the process time is expectably longer and the probability for a successful placements is relatively lower. However education & citizenship within Europe for non EU-Candidates is an advantage.